Matthew 21: 18-20
18 Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered. 19 And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away. 20 And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!
• Jesus was hungry- this shows his humanity and ability to understand our human needs.
• the tree had the opportunity to fulfill it's obligation to Jesus in providing fruit. It did not, and when it did not, it withered and died.
1. There is an opportunity for spiritual fruit in the life of every believer.
2 calls from God:
1. Call to come to salvation
2. Call to service
2. There is an expectation of spiritual fruit in the life of every believer.
•Because of me being alive today, whose life is better because of it?
•Because if my being alive today, what in the world is better because of it?
• where's the fruit from yesterday?
3. There's an accountability for the spiritual fruit in each believers life.
• You will give an account of your fruit to God!
• Busyness is not a fruit! Don't mistake leaves for a spiritual fruit. Leaves are not the fruit, they are the leaves!