13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Soul searching questions
- Do you love your church?
- Do you really understand the importance of the church?
- If the strength if the church was dependant solely on you, how strong would your church be?
- What are you doing to make your church strong?
- Have you ever said or done anything to hurt your church or give your church a black-eye?
Why is the church important?
- Because we are to make sure Christ is exalted.
- "You are the Messiah, the son of the living God."
- Because the church is the heartbeat of Christ and it was His idea.
- "On this rock I will build my Church"
- Because Christ is counting on us to be the builders.
- "On this rock I will build my Church."
- Because Christ said we should not allow anything to stop us or His church.
- "The gates of hell will not overcome it."
- Because Gods people have been equipped with authority. Authority that we should be using.
- "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven."