10 irrational ideas we must give up if we want to be the Christians that God would have us to be.
Irrational- something that is senseless or illogical.
1.Dire necessity, loved, approved, everyone, everything.
2.Competent, Adequate, Achieving
Alternative 2- seek progress through pressing on. 1 Corinthians 10:31
3.Bad, Wicked, Villainous
Alternative 2- Reject the evil ideas but accept people
4.Terrible, horrible, catastrophic
Alternative 2- Know that God is in control
Irrational idea= irrational thinking= irrational living
5. Reject the hypothesis that human happiness is externally caused and that you have little or no ability to control your sorrows or rid yourself of your negative feelings.
•Realize that most of your misery is a result of your own irrational thinking (taking place internally)
• your joy should be Christ centered.
• Luke 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
6. Rid yourself of the idea that if something is or maybe dangerous or fearsome, you should be terribly occupied with and upset about it.
• 80% of the things we fear never happen.
• 15% are self-fulfilling prophecies.
• 5% imagine
• think through real dangers, don't allow your imagination to take control.
• 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. -Realize the love of God overpowers fear
7. stop trying to run away from many life difficulties and self-responsibilities
(Avoid short term hedonism)
• determine necessary activities and then perform the activity no matter how hard it may seem.
•Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Endure by the awareness that you can do all thing through Christ.
8. We must give up the idea that the past is all-important and that
because something once strongly affected your life it should do so
Alternative: Work daily on the renwing of your mind and stop living in
9. Give up the idea that if you have to wait, God has forgotten about
-God may be saying no to the lesser to say yes to the greater.
Alternative: When waiting, seek the wisdom of God.
10. Give up the idea that Maximum human happiness can be achieved by
passively and uncommittedly enjoying yourself.
Alternative: Roll up your sleeves and get involved with others
Actively pursue the fulness of God.
2 Timothy 2:20-21